Alabama A&M University was founded in 1875 by a former slave, William Hooper Councill at the age of 26. Located in a neighborhood in Huntsville, Alabama called Normal, Alabama A&M University opened as the Huntsville Normal College. Beginning with 61 students and two teachers with a major focus on industrial education Huntsville Normal College soon became State Normal and Industrial School at Huntsville. As one of the first seventeen new land-grant black institutions by the federal government in 1891, the school’s name was changed to The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. In 1919 it became a junior college and named The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes. In 1948, it was renamed the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College and then in 1963, the school adopted its current name.
Notable Alumni Include: Recording Artist, Ruben Studdard