Bennett College began as a school for young men and woman in 1873 in the basement of Warnersville Methodist Episcopal Church (now St. Mathews Methodist Church). In 1874 the Freedmen’s Aid Society took over the school which remained under its auspices for 50 years. Within five years of 1873, a group of emancipated slaves purchased the present site for the school. College level courses and permanent facilities were added. In 1926, The Women’s Home Missionary Society joined with the Board of Education of the church to make Bennett College in Greensboro, N.C., formerly co-educational, a college for women. The challenges that were overcome to establish Bennett demand that today’s challenges be met and overcome to ensure her survival. Notable Alumni Include: American actress, Mildred Natwick and surgeon, legislature and teacher Dorothy Lavinia Brown.