Bishop State Community College started off as the Mobile Branch of Alabama State College (currently University) in 1927. The Mobile Branch offered extension courses to African American elementary and secondary teachers in Mobile, Alabama. Dr. Sanford. D. Bishop, Sr., joined the teaching staff of “The Branch” in 1938 as an instructor of English and music. In 1941, he was named dean. In 1963 the name was changed to Alabama State College – Mobile Center. In 1965 the name was changed to Mobile State Junior College. Dr. Bishop was appointed president of the new independent junior college. In 1971, the Alabama State Legislature renamed the college to S. D. Bishop State Junior College which he was able to see happen before his death on June 21, 1981. On February 23, 1989, the Alabama State Board of Education re-named the college to Bishop State Community College to reflect its growth in vocational/career offerings, transfer offerings and community service activities.
Notable Alumni Include: Former nationally ranked athlete in track and field, led lawsuit against whites-only scholarships at Alabama State University, Jessie Tompkins