On March 3, 1891, Hugh Cale, an African-American representative in the N.C. General Assembly, sponsored a House Bill that established a normal school for “teaching and training teachers of the colored race to teach in the common schools of North Carolina.” The school was the beginning for Elizabeth City State University. By 1937, the institution had transitioned from a two-year normal school into a four-year teachers college. Two years later, Elizabeth City Teachers College was adopted as the name–until it was changed again in 1969 to its current name. By the time ECSU had joined the University of North Carolina System, it was much more than a teaching college–with 11 academic majors. Today, ECSU offers 22 undergraduate and 4 graduate programs of study.