Grambling State University opened on November 1, 1901, as the Colored Industrial and Agricultural School. A group of African American farmers wanted to organize and operate a school for African Americans in their region of the state. In response to their request, Booker T. Washington sent Charles P. Adams, the school’s founding president, to help them organize an industrial school. The school was renamed the North Louisiana Agricultural and Industrial school in 1905. By 1928, it had become a state junior college and was awarding two-year professional certificates and diplomas. The school became Grambling College, named after P.G. Grambling, the white sawmill owner who had donated the parcel of land where the school was constructed. In 1974, the addition of graduate programs in early childhood and elementary education gave the school a new status and a new name – Grambling State University. For the next 30 years, the institution would grow significantly into a 384-acre campus, including a business and computer science building, school of nursing, student services building, stadium, stadium support facility and an intramural sports center.
Notable Alumni Include: NFL Hall of Famer Willie Brown; New York Times columnist Charles M. Blow; and jazz artist Lovett Hines.