MSU was founded in 1867 as the Centenary Biblical Institute by the Baltimore Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The institution’s original mission was to train young men in ministry. The school was renamed Morgan College in 1890 in honor of Reverend Lyttleton Morgan, the first chairman of its Board of Trustees, who donated land to the college. Morgan remained a private institution until 1939 when the state of Maryland purchased it. In 1975, Morgan was designated as a University. A founding member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), Morgan’s campus covers more than 143 acres and awards more bachelor’s degrees to African-American students than any campus in Maryland.
Notable Alumni Include: NFL Hall of Famer Willie Lanier; Black Enterprise Magazine publisher Earl Graves; and historian Rosalyn Terborg-Penn.